10/13/12

Art Party {behind the scenes}

I looked and looked for some sort of rainbow outfit for Elena's birthday party but couldn't find anything! So I decided I was going to be brave and make it! I am so glad that I did because I love how it turned out and it was so inexpensive!
First I decided to go with a rainbow tutu - thanks to Pinterest I found this tutorial and went from there. I decided to do sections of colors instead of mixing them all together so you would really get the rainbow effect. The tulle cost about $6 and my mom happened to have the elastic in her sewing bag!
Next I new I wanted something with rainbow material on the front, maybe an E or a letter 4 or something. I set out to find rainbow material to make this happen. After a trip to every.single.craft store in Wichita I came to the realization that NO ONE has rainbow pattern material!! What is that about?? So once again I got brave and decided I would make my own rainbow material. After a long discussion with the fabric lady we had a plan. Take strips of my 6 colors, use wonder-under (makes fabric iron-on) to bond them to a random scrap of fabric, then use the new material that was created and use wonder-under again to attach the material to the shirt. (yeah - it was a little complicated!) But it worked!! Well, sort of - the strips I cut were so small that some didn't have enough wonder gu on them to stay so I ended up having to use fabric glue as an extra reinforcement. (hey, it only needed to last one day, right?) The fabric scraps were a whole $1.50, I found a clearance t-shirt in her size at Old Navy for $2! The wonder-under stuff was about $6 but I had a 50% off coupon! So her whole outfit was barely over $10! I was pumped at how cute it ended up, especially for the price! I was afraid to free hand the number so I just found a font that I liked in Microsoft Word and printed it out bold and really big - perfect!
Dominic had fun hanging out with Grandpa while we were working on all this stuff!
Next I tried my hand out sewing a little bunting to put on top of the cake. I simply cut triangles of felt and started sewing right along the top added each color as I went. Easy peasy! (and for me to say anything is easy on the sewing machine it must be true!)
 I had to get a couple pics of the rainbow cake coming together - it really wasn't that hard at all. I am so glad that my Mom and I decided to give it a whirl instead of spending a ridiculous amount of money for a bakery to do it. Yay us!
and here is the final thing! I love that it looks so simple on the outside...
but is so colorful and fun on the inside! :) It makes me smile just looking at the pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...